Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 12 of the Challenge!

Good morning! Its a nasty rainy morning, one that is really dark and makes me feel like i shouldnt be awake. Keni is full of piss and vinegar and so is the dog! Slade is still sleeping, which is rare!  So here we go!

Day 12: the best advice you’ve ever heard, or ever been given.



 The best advice i Have ever been given is a hard question to narrow down. I have a lot of wise people in my life who are eager and willing to give their wisdom! So in comforting times, hard times, i've heard too many wise words to keep track of. But i think that one of the best advice brian and I have received as a couple is, To put US first. Put our relationship BEFORE the kids.... Because once the kids leave the nest, we are all each other has, and we dont want to be "lost" when the kids leave. We still focus on our children and they come first when it comes to a lot of their needs. I dont want this to sound bad, because we don't treat our kids like they come last. They know no differently, BUT He knows he is my number one, as I know that I am his number one. We give each other first priority or we try to. We make time for each other the best we can. We take the time each night to talk about our days and stay on the same page. Tired or not, we NEED to take time to keep track of each other and not just go to bed once the kids are all snuggled in. We didnt always put eachother first, or shall i say, i never put brian first, he always had me first. i always kept the kids first. One day he threw it in my face that I didnt care enough about what he was saying. I believe i was playing hot wheels and i was more engaged into that, then what my own husband was saying. Its not that he was jealous, or anything like that, it was simply  that i didnt value his conversation. It was true. I couldn't give him 5 minutes of my attention while slade played quietly on his own?! Ever since that night I have tried to put him first. The kids get my 100 percent devoted attention all day long, So i can give my husband the attention he needs when he gets home as well. Since i started to do that, our relationship has blossomed. We are closer on another level. We don't just talk about the kids, we have lives too; imagine that! haha. Plus i think its really great to have the kids see us so close. When brian and I sit on the couch talking, or if he hugs me or kisses me  and i glance at the kids, they are always smiling and giggling. They think its pretty cool, so that re-assures me that we are doing a great job. Showing love and emotion is something that is top priority in our household. I think its so important. 

So in conclusion the best advice i have received is to keep my marriage top priority, and it has really changed the way i look at bri. It has changed our relationship for the best, so i am grateful for that wisdom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment